Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Santa hat head band

I've been looking for a cute christmas eve dress for tiny E for a while now. I even spent a good while digging deep into google for a pattern for a dress. But really, I couldn't find a single thing that would do the trick. But then isn't that how it always is? I can't help it if I'm stinking picky. Every pattern had it's good points, but there was always something wrong.
So I decided to take all the things that I DID like from those patterns and make my own design. More on that later.
I then decided that I wanted to make a Santa hat for tiny E to wear with the dress. But considering tiny E's disdain for anything hat-like, I had to come up with some sort of compromise. Then I remembered those top hat fascinators that I love so much. I figured, why not just make a tiny Santa hat, a'la top hat fascinator. And that's exactly what I did. Again, apologies for the stupid iPhone pictures. There's never enough light for anything better, and when there is, tiny is crawling all over me a whining for a nap that she ends up refusing to take.
This pattern is written as more of a guideline to how to make it. You need to have a bit of know-how where crochet is concerned otherwise you might get very, very lost. Or maybe I'm just needlessly worrying. Or tired. Probably tired.
But yes. Here you go.

Santa hat:
In red yarn:
Start with a magic circle
r1: ch2, sc 6 inside magic circle. Slst to ch2
r2&3: ch2 sc in each st around. slst to ch2 (6 sc in each row)
r4: ch2, 2sc in each st around (12 sc total) slst to ch2
r5&6: ch2, sc in each st around. slst to ch2 (12 sc total in each row)
r7: ch2, *sc in next st, 2sc in next st. repeat from * around. Slst to ch2 (18 sc total)
r8&9: ch2, sc in each st around slst to ch2 (18 st total)
r10: ch2, *sc in next two st, 2sc in next st. repeat from * around. Slst to ch2 (24 sc total)
r11&12: ch2, sc in each st around. Slst to ch2 (24 st total)
r13: ch2, *sc in next 3 st, 2sc in next st. Repeat from * around. Slst to ch2 (30 sc total)
r14&15: ch2, sc in each st around. Slst to ch2 (30 st total)
Switch to white yarn
r16. ch3, *dc in next st. Popcorn st in next st. Repeat from * around. Fasten off

Circle base for santa hat:
With white yarn, start with magic circle
r1: ch 2 sc 6 inside magic circle. Slst to ch2
r2: ch 2, 2sc in every st around. slst to ch2  (12 sc total)
r3: ch 2, *sc in next st, 2sc in next st. Repeat from * around. Slst to ch2 (18 sc total)
r4: ch 2, *sc in next 2 st, 2sc in next st. Repeat from * around. Slst to ch2 (24 sc total)
r5: ch 2, *sc in next 3 st, 2sc in next st. Repeat from * around. Slst to ch2 (30 sc total)
DON'T fasten off

Pompom:
I basically just wrapped a few lengths of white yarn around two fingers, slipped the yarn off, and used a scrap piece of yarn to tie the bundle around the middle (leaving long tails for attaching to the hat), and then cut the loops on either end. I then threaded the tails through the top of the hat and tied them together.

Attach base to hat with slst or sc (when 3/4 of the way around, stuff hat)


Head band:

Ch 62
r1: sc in second ch from hook. *Sk 1 ch, 5 dc in next ch, sk 1 ch, sc in next ch. repeat from * til end. Ch1, and turn piece upside down (so that you are working along the bottom/opposite side of the starting chain) and repeat (work sc's in the same ch space as on the other side of ch, and dc5 in the same spaces as dc5 spaces). Ch1 and slst to very first sc made.

You can attach yarn to edges of headband and tightly chain as many as needed to be able to tie the headband on, or you can attach yarn and braid tie chords, or you could even attach elastic.

All that's left now is to sew the Santa hat to the headband.



No comments:

Post a Comment